At Lil’ Orphan Hammies, our primary mission is to provide rescue, a safe environment, enrichment, and excellent care for miniature pigs that are homeless, abandoned, neglected, or abused. This includes ensuring appropriate medical care, encouraging socialization, and careful rehabilitation of pigs with behavioral problems. We adhere to a strict "No-Kill" policy; never euthanizing an animal unless it is suffering from a mortal wound or terminal illness.
Other Aspects of Our Ongoing Mission
- Alerting the public to the plight of miniature pigs including issues with unscrupulous breeders, the prevalence of misinformation, zoning ordinances, neglect, and abuse.
- Promoting adoption or rehoming with well informed owners who have been screened to ensure that they can provide a proper environment and accommodate all of the pig's needs.
- Strongly encouraging the spay or neuter of all pet pigs and providing spay and neuter resources to those in need of assistance.
- Providing additional educational outreach by participating in local and state events, manning booths and distributing materials, participating in school events, accepting public speaking engagements, and functioning as advocates, ambassadors and educators when media outlets are available.
- Aggressively combating unscrupulous breeders by providing accurate, up-to-date information about pig breeds and the care they require; and dispelling some of the prevalent myths that potential pig owners are subjected to.
- Actively networking with other rescue resources for purposes of rescue, adoption referral, and the exchange and distribution of information.
- Providing assistance to shelters and other rescue organizations by sharing our skills, resources, and equipment.
It would seem that the work to be done will always exceed the resources available. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, we rely on your generous outpouring to keep us going. We are forever appreciative to those of you in a position to donate your resources, your time, or a financial contribution.